Awww Summer 16, Summer 16.
Believe it or not summer time is NOT one of my favorite seasons, don’t get me wrong it has it’s high points. But being born and raised on little gem in the sea that is cloaked in its own perpetual summer year round, you kinda get tired of sun, sand and sea.
Wait…who am I kidding, I can never tire of the gifts that nature has thought to bestow on us. I’ve had the great pleasure and opportunity to spend some of my summers in some of the most beautiful places in the world, but nothing beats summer in St.Croix. Summer here just has it’s own type of magic and I’m happy that I’m here for it! Crazy, hot sunny days, call for beach days. It’s mango season as well so I’m trying to put mango in EVERYTHING. Mango lemonade, mango margaritas, mango bbq sauce, mango cheesecake, mango panna cotta, mango, mango, mango!!
The temps on island can become unbearable at times especially if you’re not used to them and I have to switch up my beauty routine as well as my wardrobe just a bit to accomodate the season. During the summer I try to stick to a strict (in my own head) sundress and shorts rule as much as possible, because who wants to be in skinny jeans in 95 degree weather?!? I love this because it gives me a chance to try out new things and bring some of my tried and true faves along for the ride.
Here are my summer faves that are allowing me to stay cool and fab this summer:
- Lush Shower Jellies – I’ve been a fan of these for a few years now, they are the best! Especially on a hot summer my day. They are amazingly refreshing and my favorite one, Whoosh, offers an intense citrus and rosemary punch that awakens your senses and gets you ready for the day. I picked up Refresher a few months ago while I was in Seattle. They are both citrus based scents which for reasons unbeknown to me, I’m really into right now. I like to put them in the fridge or freezer as well to keep cool and then break off a piece before heading in the shower. I usually pair it with the From Dusk til Dawn massage bar for after-shower moisture. It smells amazing and helps to keep the mosquitoes away. Thank me later!
- Fresh Soy Face Cleanser– This cleanser is not as harsh as most face washes and gets the grit and weight off your face and down the drain in one fell swoop.
- Cultured Naturals Charcoal Detox Scrub– The humidity here is not for the faint of heart, my braid outs are never successful and my face is always sweaty and greasy, it’s hot here y’all! It’s not a game! To counteract that oil slick on my face I’ve been using Cultured Natural’s Charcoal Detox Scrub, this stuff is a miracle worker! Activated Charcoal has many benefits essential to keeping our skin looking it’s best, it’s known to absorb up to 30x it’s weight in toxins, it minimizes pores, is great for acne and oily skin and works wonders at deep cleaning. I have oily/combination skin and my T-Zone during the summer time is like the Exxon Valdez oil spill in 1989. It’s not pretty. Since using this mask I’ve noticed my face is smoother, less oil and my melanin is on glow.
- Avon MagiX Face Perfector– Summers here are hot, do you hear me? HOT! And my skin, especially my face tends to take a brunt of the abuse brought on by the season. I don’t really wear make up in the summer, especially liquid foundation. At most I’ll use my Avon MagiX Face Perfector, this is a primer but can be worn alone, it keeps my face shine at bay, especially when paired with this my Mac Skin Mineralizer and Black Opal Deluxe Finishing Powder, my face and T-zone can make it thru a hot summer’s night on the town. I usually set everything with…Cultured Naturals Rose Water Facial Spritz. I keep mines in the fridge so that it’s cool and leaves me refreshed when I apply it. I also use this solo during the day sans makeup as a quick pick me up for my face.
- I loved Cultured Natural products can you tell? Ramone Reid is the creative force behind the brand and she’s the absolute sweetest most knowledgeable person. All her products are organic, handmade, and all natural. And I love that her hair products (that’s a post for another day) are a bit bespoke, she has a set hair product line, however if you need her to tweak them for you she can, which is awesome. Island living is the best but the mosquitos are horrible and they are out here in DROVES, it’s ridiculous, Cultured Naturals Buzzzz Off Herbal Bug Repellent is here to save the day! It contains no DEET, parabens, pesticides and is Non-GMO. I keep this on hand at all times because the mosquitoes out here are savage!
- This is sundress and shorts season to the Nth degree so it’s imperative that my skin looks it best and the way that I keep my situation moisturized is by exfoliating, moisturizing and hydrating. I am a big fan of dry brushing before I hop in the shower, this helps to get your lymphatic system going and draining. Once I get in the shower I’ve been using Tree Hut Sugar Scrubs, the Italian Mocha is great for firming up the jiggle with the help of the caffeine. The Coconut Lime scent is just delicious smelling and makes my skin soft and glowy.
- Moon Valley Organics Moon Melt Lotion Bar is what I use to lock in moisture. It’s the thing I never know I wanted or needed but now that I know about it I have to have it! A few months ago while in Seattle at Pike Place Market I came across the Moon Valley Organics booth. I had a great chat with the sales reps and tried out some of their testers. I instantly fell in love with their Moon Melt Lotion Bar, I actually forgot to pack lotion so I bought Lemon Vanilla scented lotion bar and it has the most divine smell. I love that it comes in a round metal tin, which makes it easy to travel it’s just the right size to throw into your carry on. Of course, I ended up going back and buying more including the Coconut Lemon fragrance.
- You’ve heard me rant and rave throughout this post about the heat, I don’t know what else to say but it’s HOTTER than HADES here! So not only do I make sure to keep my situation moisturized I make sure to protect my skin from the elements as well. It’s hot and the sun is scorching bright. I don’t wear a hat usually, but I do wear one at the beach because when the sun reflects on the sand, it’s like you’ve seen Jesus and are walking towards the light, trust me. For my lips I use my all time favorite Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment, which has SPF 15, it has a hint of a lemon-y smell and you know I’m down for citrus at the moment. I’ve been using this since college. It’s a bit pricey but definitely worth it, my lips always feel super soft and moisturized when I use it, now if only there was a frog for me to kiss. LOL.
- Last but not least, my daily moisturizer which I’ve been using for ages is the Neutrogena Visibly Even Daily Moisturizer which has Broadband SPF 30. It’s worked wonders for my skin and hyperpigmentation. I usually mix this with my Clinique Dramatically Different Gel Moisturizer, a dab of each, swirl, apply and I’m good to go. I know there’s been many debates about sunscreen being toxic and bad for you and people of color not needing it. Trust me…it’s necessary. It may not be to you but it is to me, this brown girl peels just like my melanin deficient brothers and sisters. TRUST ME. I’ve been looking into all natural alternatives and may make a move to them in the future.
That about wraps up my faves that help to keep me summertime fine. Did any of your favorites make my list? What products are you using to stunt on the summer? Let me know in the comments!